Join us for a professional development retreat with a focus on experiential learning in the Kingdom of Wonder. The mission of this retreat is to showcase the importance and value of global education/citizenship in all education, and to share the tools and knowledge to support educators to bring it to their classroom.
Who this retreat is designed for?
- High school teachers of subjects in the arts and humanities, or those working in international schools in South East Asia
- Teachers from all grade-levels with an interest in Global Citizenship education
- Teachers and administrators from all grade-levels who have a responsibility for service-learning
What’s in it for you?
- Connect to the community of like-minded teachers
- Professional networking
- Make the most of your time working in South East Asia, by understanding ‘local issues’
- Understand education in this part of the world
- Understand what and how to contribute to positive sustainable change
- Understand what makes powerful overseas ‘service’ trips, and how to develop trips that make a lasting difference to the participants and the communities you visit
Sunday 23rd October – Thursday 27th October 2016
We are no longer accepting participant sign up for this tour on these dates at this time.
Day 1 – Arrive Siem Reap
Welcome / Introductions / Framing of experiential training / Orientation
Day 2 – Introducing global citizenship education & rural homestay
Global citizenship education / Meet leading education NGO / Transfer to rural homestay / Exploring development and poverty / Exploring remote ancient temples
Day 3 – Community development & responsible service learning
Critically exploring service and community development / Expert guest speaker on child protection in tourism and service / Exploring local handicraft market
Day 4 – Cultural heritage & development
Sunrise exploration of the temples of Angkor / Cultural heritage and development / Reflections and transference
Day 5 – Departure or extended stay in Cambodia
Conclusion of tour
About your Facilitator: Claire Bennett (UK)
Claire Bennett is an experiential educator, development consultant, and writer who has spent the last eight years living in Asia. After graduating from Cambridge University with a first-class degree, she ventured from her native UK to volunteer in Nepal. She later returned as a founder member of a rural development organization, PHASE. Since then, she’s spent time supporting livelihoods activities in rural Cambodia, coordinating regional strategy for “global education” within the UK school system, and facilitating Global Youth Action, connecting disadvantaged youth to global causes. One of Claire’s key passions is ethical volunteering, and she is a co-founder of Learning Service, an online advocacy platform and information portal for potential volunteers. She has helped create guidelines, videos and other resources, and is a co-author of a forthcoming book.
Claire is the founder and head trainer of the Nirmana Training Institute and manages the operations of educational tourism company PEPY Tours. She also works freelance as a facilitator and trainer for global organizations such as Where There Be Dragons and the JUMP! Foundation, usually in the U.S., Cambodia and Nepal. She also works in research and evaluation for the social impact sector, and has undertaken research projects in Nepal for Next Generation Nepal, SVT Group, and the Better Volunteering Better Care Network. She occasionally writes freelance for British newspaper The Guardian.
Claire’s work is driven by a passion for global equality and social justice, and fueled by caffeine from her British tea-drinking habit.
$800 per person
(minimum 6 guests to guarantee tour)
- Experienced Global Citizenship and Development Education facilitator
- All accommodation
- All in-country transport to sites above listed
- All meals
- 24 hour in country emergency support
- Admission and guide at the temples of Angkor
- Donation to organisations visited, including associated guest speaker(s)
- Travel to and from Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Travel insurance – all participants must have their own
- Tourist visa