Spirit of Angkor
The spiritual journey of the temples of Angkor
Uncover the ancient secrets of the magnificent Angkor Temples by following the fascinating spiritual journey of the mighty Khmer Empire. Step back in time as you weave your way through jungle-clad ruins, treading in the footsteps of Hindu holy men, Buddhist rulers, and warrior kings of days gone by. Get off the beaten path and unlock the hidden mysteries of this sacred city.
Price & inclusions
For a private tour for:
- 1 person, the price is $135 USD / person.
- 2 – 5 people, the price is $85 USD / person.
- 6 – 10 people, the price is $70 USD / person.
- Larger group discounts and pricing on request.
Prices effective for all bookings from 1st October 2019 onwards
This price includes:
- Private experienced English-speaking guide
- Private tuktuk transportation (including pick-up and drop-off at your accommodation)
- Lunch in the Angkor Park (most hotels provide a packed breakfast for guests, but if you need a meal in the morning our guides can suggest somewhere to purchase breakfast in the temple area)
- Drinking water
- Optional Buddhist blessing at a working pagoda in the Angkor Park
- Sunrise start (recommended but optional)
- Fair payment to all involved in the delivery of your experience
- VAT (10%) and other Government taxes
Please note that this price does not include entrance to the Angkor Archeological Park, so that you are free to buy whichever ticket will best suit your needs: 1 day ($37), 3 days ($62), or 7 days ($72).
You’ll notice that the inclusions state ‘breakfast or lunch’. This is because many of the hotels in Siem Reap will offer a packed breakfast for guests that are going to the temples for sunrise, and we don’t want you to miss out on that option by automatically including breakfast. Please just let us know at least 1 day in advance whether you would prefer us to provide breakfast or lunch. If you’d like us to include breakfast your guide will, of course, be able to suggest a great local restaurant in the park for lunch, but this would be covered by you.
Travelling with children? (Exclusive offers available for direct bookings through our website only)
We’re happy to welcome children aged 5 and under for free, and extend a 20% discount to children aged 6 – 11.
The price per person is calculated on the number of guests aged 6 and over. As an example, 2 adults + 1 child aged 8 years would pay the per-person rate for 3 people, although the child would receive a 20% discount.
Children under 12 years of age do not need to purchase an entrance ticket to the Angkor Archeological Park, but may need to demonstrate proof of age, so please take along passports.
- Explore the magnificent Angkor Archaeological Park with an experienced local expert guide and former Buddhist monk
- Get off the beaten track and discover lesser visited sites or routes
- Participate in an introductory Theravada meditation session in a peaceful location within the sacred site
- The temple park is also home to a breathtaking forest, wander between the trees and connect with nature
- Follow the spiritual journey of Angkor – Hinduism, Buddhism, Animism
- Receive a traditional blessing from a monk at a pagoda
- Enjoy lunch over-looking an ancient reservoir
- Start time – for sunrise, 4:45am
- Finish time – approx. 1pm
- Meeting place / pick up – collection from hotel in Siem Reap city
- Temples included – the ‘main’ temples: Angkor Wat, Bayon, and Ta Phrom
- Cost – depends on group size. Please send us your booking enquiry or check the Prices & Inclusions tab.
- Special notes – please follow appropriate dress code and regulations at this site of worship
Our ‘Spirit of Angkor’ experience introduces visitors to the three ‘main’ temples of the Angkor Archeological Park (Angkor Wat, Bayon*, Ta Prohm), whilst also offering an opportunity to explore the spiritual journey of this sacred site. It has been lovingly handcrafted by Yut – our resident Angkor expert and former Buddhist monk – and all of the guides for this experience are former monks, so well-equipped to give an insight into the temples’ spiritual history.
*Please note (January 2020): The central tower of Bayon temple is currently closed for restoration work, and therefore it is not possible to visit this section at this time. The first and second level of the tower remain open to visitors.
Your day will begin with a moonlit tuktuk ride through the ancient Angkor forest towards the temples, where you’ll cross the thousand-year-old causeway to watch Angkor Wat as it emerges with the sunrise. Once the sun has risen follow your guide through secluded side entrances and quieter corridors, weaving your way to the top of the world’s largest religious structure.
As you continue your journey through Cambodia’s spiritual history, you’ll spend the morning exploring the smiling faces of Bayon and over the ever-encroaching roots at Ta Prohm. In a serene, shady corner there will be an opportunity to learn about the traditional meditation technics practiced on this spiritual site for centuries, as well as receive a traditional Buddhist blessing.
Your tour will end with a traditional Khmer lunch overlooking an Angkorian reservoir.
“We all learned so much! A very different experience than what we would have had just walking around by ourselves” – Mary, June 2016