Secrets of Siem Reap
Storytelling at sunrise in the city
Siem Reap is known for its temples, but there’s so much more to this little city. Join us on a sunrise discovery of secluded corners and hidden histories, getting behind the scenes of ‘temple town’ as it comes alive. Explore the contrast of bustling markets and buzzing breakfast spots with tranquil pagodas and sleepy backstreets, as you gain insights into local art, architecture, food, and superstitions.
Price & inclusions
Our ‘Secrets of Siem Reap’ experience is an exploration of the city’s hidden corners as it wakes for another beautiful day. We recommend doing this tour by bicycle for a real slice of local living, but it is also possible via tuktuk if you’d prefer.
We recommend starting this tour at 6.00am, but can push the start time back as late as 7.00am if preferred.
For a private tour for:
- 1 person, the price is $120 / person.
- 2 – 5 people, the price is $70 / person.
- 6 – 10 people, the price is $55 / person.
- Larger group discounts and pricing on request.
Prices effective for all bookings from 1st October 2019 onwards
This price includes:
- Private experienced English-speaking guide
- Tuktuk pick-up and drop-off at central accommodation
- Mountain bike hire (or tuktuk if preferred)
- Drinking water
- Traditional Khmer breakfast
- Fair payment to all involved in the delivery of your experience
- VAT (10%) and other Government taxes
Travelling with children? (Exclusive offers available for direct bookings through our website only)
We’re happy to welcome children aged 5 and under for free, and extend a 20% discount to children aged 6 – 11.
The price per person is calculated on the number of guests aged 6 and over. As an example, 2 adults + 1 child aged 8 years would pay the per-person rate for 3 people, although the child would receive a 20% discount.
- See the city as it wakes up in the beautiful morning light
- Discover ‘behind the scenes’ locations to understand how locals live
- Gain a deeper understanding of local history (including the 1960s ‘golden era’ and the Khmer Rouge) and sites of significance
- Meet a variety of different storytellers – from honourable grandmas to expert craftsmen
- Learn about religion and spirituality, with a visit to a local pagoda
- Eat breakfast at a locals favourite hangout and enjoy various traditional snacks
- Start time – 6am
- Finish time – approx. 10am
- Meeting place / pick up – collection from hotel in Siem Reap city, to central meeting place to pick up your bicycle
- Cost – depends on group size. Please send us your booking enquiry or check the Prices & Inclusions tab.
- Special notes – would you prefer tuktuk or to ride a bike? Mild cycling difficulty, but recommended as part of the adventure!
This trip runs for half a day.
Meet your guide at the break of dawn to explore the city of Siem Reap as it wakes up. We’ve carefully designed this off-the-beaten-track route to give you a sneak-peak at backstreet life that most visitors rarely get to experience. This insightful tour will take you along the meandering river to places of historical significance, but rarely known and discussed.
Between modern developments, quaint wooden houses traditional to Cambodia can be found, and nestled between the chaos you’ll discover iconic ‘60s architecture from the country’s ‘golden era’. With ‘before and after’ images you will reimagine the city before tourism arrived, and when Siem Reap was nothing more than a peaceful fishing village.
Some of the city’s most beautiful landmarks have hidden histories, and your guide will take you on a journey of days gone by, including sad events from the Khmer Rouge and before. Into the modern day, you’ll explore bustling local markets and sample delicious tropical fruits and for the more daring, some weird and wonderful insect snacks! You’ll also have time to find inner peace in the tranquil grounds of a local pagoda, and learn all about the life of Buddhist monks.
Your tour will conclude with a hearty breakfast at arguably Siem Reap locals’ favoured cafe; your guide will help you pick from the menu a variety of delicious flavours and dishes.
“The Secrets of Siem Reap tour was absolutely amazing; we learned so much. An amazing experience” – Arpit, July 2017