Introduction to Buddhism, Siem Reap
Theravada Buddhism is a cornerstone of Cambodia’s culture, and exploring this peaceful philosophy will give you a deeper insight into the Kingdom and its people. Spend time with monks at a local pagoda, learning about their daily lives, rituals, and the practice of meditation. Explore the role of Buddhism in society, participate in a traditional blessing, and find out why monks always wear orange robes!
- Visit to a local pagoda
- Spend time with a monk and learn about daily life in the monastery
- Explore Buddhist art and architecture
- Receive a traditional blessing (optional)
- Participate in an introduction to meditation session
- Explore Cambodia’s spiritual journey through history (Animism, Hinduism, Buddhism)
- Understand Buddhism as philosophy, culture, and religion in Cambodian context
This tour is only led by experienced guides who spent their youth as Buddhist monks.
- Start time – 8.30am
- Finish time – 4-5 hours after start time
- Meeting place / pick up – collection from hotel in Siem Reap city
- Cost – depends on group size. Please send us your booking enquiry or check the Prices & Inclusions tab.
- Special notes – please follow appropriate dress code and regulations at this site of worship
Your guide – a former monk – will meet you at your hotel, and you’ll travel together by tuktuk to one of the city’s most beautiful pagodas (Buddhist temples). While wandering through stupas and among fragrant frangipani tress you’ll learn about the history of Buddhism in Cambodia, and the fascinating way it has interwoven with ancient Animism to form a uniquely Khmer spiritual practice. It’ll then be time to head into the main temple to meet with Buddhist monks to learn about their lives, their role in their communities, and receive an optional traditional blessing.
From there your journey will take you to a sacred local shrine, where there will be an opportunity to learn about the importance of offerings, and the symbolic significance of lotus flowers, and two pious elderly sisters who have become Siem Reap folklore.
The final stop will take you to Siem Reap’s oldest pagoda, where there will be an opportunity to learn about the core teaching of Buddhist philosophies, also referred to as the ‘peaceful art of living’. With the gentle instruction of your guide, this is also the perfect place to spend a few tranquil moments discovering different meditation techniques.
The journey will conclude with lunch at one of our favourite local restaurants – a perfect opportunity to ask your guide any additional Buddhism questions!
Price & inclusions
Our ‘Introduction to Buddhism‘ experience has been lovingly crafted by Yut – Ayana co-founder and a former Buddhist monk of 16 years – to offer visitors an insight into both Buddhist philosophy and Buddhism in the Cambodian cultural context. This is also a chance to learn about the role of Buddhism in Cambodia’s peace and reconciliation efforts, and get ‘behind the scenes’ of daily life in a pagoda.
This tour starts at 8.30am, and concludes in the early afternoon.
For a private tour for:
- 1 person, the price is $130 / person.
- 2 people, the price is $80 / person.
- 3 people, the price is $65 / person.
- 4 people, the price is $60 / person.
- 5 people, the price is $55 / person.
- 6 people, the price is $50 / person.
This price includes:
- Private experienced English-speaking guide
- Private tuktuk transportation (including pick-up and drop-off at your accommodation)
- Drinking water
- Optional Buddhist blessing
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Donations to all pagodas hosting visits
- Fair payment to all involved in the delivery of your experience
- VAT (10%) and other Government taxes
“The tour was worth every cent! This was by far the best tour I ever went on. I highly recommend it to anybody who would like to learn more about Buddhism and Cambodian culture. This is responsible tourism at its best” – Karin, May 2017