Spirit of Angkor
The spiritual journey of the temples of Angkor
Uncover the ancient secrets of the magnificent Angkor Temples by following the fascinating spiritual journey of the mighty Khmer Empire. Step back in time as you weave your way through jungle-clad ruins, treading in the footsteps of Hindu holy men, Buddhist rulers, and warrior kings of days gone by. Get off the beaten path and unlock the hidden mysteries of this sacred city.
- Explore the magnificent Angkor Archaeological Park with an experienced local expert guide and ex-monk
- Get off the beaten track and discover lesser visited sites
The temple park is also home to a breathtaking forest, wander between the trees and connect with nature
- Follow the spiritual journey of Angkor – Hinduism, Buddhism, Animism
- Receive a traditional blessing from a monk at a pagoda
- Start time – for sunrise, 4:45am
- Finish time – approx. 1pm
- Meeting place / pick up – collection from hotel in Siem Reap city
- Cost – depends on group size. Please send us your booking enquiry or check the Price tab.
- Special notes – please follow appropriate dress code and regulations at this site of worship
This trip runs for half a day, usually starting at sunrise.
This experience has been lovingly handcrafted by Yut, our resident Angkor expert and ex-Buddhist monk. After years guiding at the magnificent Angkor Archaeological Park, Yut has discovered quieter spaces and peaceful trails for our guests to explore. As a place of worship we believe taking time for some tranquility here is both respectful and memorable, and can help you escape the crowds for a moment of inner peace.
Let us guide you through the spiritual journey of Angkor, from Hinduism, Buddhism and Animism. Unfolding the history of this awe-inspiring place through the lens of religion and spirituality allows you to sense its magic!
The protected area is a living landscape, and meeting the people who call this place home is a great way to understand the culture of Angkor. You can also learn about superstitions and folklore common to countryside villages like those in the Angkor area.
Your temple exploration concludes with a hearty lunch at a local restaurant before returning to your place of stay.
Price & inclusions
Our ‘Spirit of Angkor’ experience has been designed to introduce visitors to the three ‘main’ temples of the Angkor Archeological Park (Angkor Wat, Bayon, Ta Prohm), whilst also offering an opportunity to explore the spiritual journey of this sacred site. All of our guides for this experience are former monks, so well-equipped to give an insight into the temples’ spiritual history.
This tour starts at 4.45am, when your guide will meet you at your hotel, and concludes in the early afternoon.
For a private tour for:
- 1 person, the price is $140 USD / person.
- 2 people, the price is $85 USD / person.
- 3 people, the price is $68 USD / person.
- 4 people, the price is $65 USD / person.
- 5 people, the price is $58 USD / person.
- 6 people, the price is $55 USD / person.
This price includes:
- Private experienced English-speaking guide
- Private tuktuk transportation (including pick-up and drop-off at your accommodation)
- Breakfast or lunch in the Angkor Park (you choose!)
- Drinking water
- Optional Buddhist blessing at a working pagoda in the Angkor Park
- Sunrise start (recommended but optional)
- Fair payment to all involved in the delivery of your experience
- VAT (10%) and other Government taxes
Please note that this price does not include entrance to the Angkor Archeological Park, so that you are free to buy whichever ticket will best suit your needs: 1 day ($37), 3 days ($62), or 7 days ($72).
You’ll notice that the inclusions state ‘breakfast or lunch’. This is because many of the hotels in Siem Reap will offer a packed breakfast for guests that are going to the temples for sunrise, and we don’t want you to miss out on that option by automatically including breakfast. Please just let us know at least 1 day in advance whether you would prefer us to provide breakfast or lunch. If you’d like us to include breakfast your guide will, of course, be able to suggest a great local restaurant in the park for lunch, but this would be covered by you.
“We all learned so much! A very different experience than what we would have had just walking around by ourselves” – Mary, June 2016