Cambodian countryside connection
Escape the hustle and bustle of the tourist trail by getting out into the Cambodian countryside. Journey through lush rice fields and wander with a community guide, meeting local storytellers to learn about rural folklore and a centuries-old way of life. Try traditional handicrafts, join daily activities, and enjoy lunch with a host family – a unique opportunity to connect with Khmer culture.
- Meet generations of those living in the countryside and gain a meaningful insight into rural life
- Enjoy a hearty lunch with a local family and learn about Khmer cuisine
- Discover local superstitions, beliefs, and village folklore
- Visit a rural pagoda and learn about Buddhism, Cambodia’s national religion
- Connect with storytellers and artisans
- Start time – 10am (flexible)
- Finish time – approx. 3pm
- Meeting place / pick up – collection from hotel in Siem Reap city
- Cost – depends on group size. Please send us your booking enquiry or check the Price tab.
- Special notes – you will be visiting a rural village with traditional values and a pagoda, so please follow suitable dress code
This trip runs for half a day.
Meet your guide at 10am in Siem Reap and journey with him/her to the surrounding countryside. Despite such a short distance (approx. 40 minutes by tuktuk) from town, you’ll be amazed at how quickly you can enter the heart of the picturesque Cambodian countryside – soon you’ll be driving through open fields and wandering around villages with thatched roofs.
Together you’ll explore the beautiful community pagoda and learn about the role of Buddhism in village life, such as culture, celebrations, and social development.
As you enter the village, you’ll get the chance to meet various local families practicing traditional countryside crafts, such as weaving and farming. Spend time with locals and learn about their life and unique skills. You’ll explore the surrounding farmlands and gain insight into agriculture and the interesting cycle of planting, harvesting, and preparing crops such as rice, tropical fruits, and vegetables.
Superstitions and ghosts play a big role in Cambodian culture, and nowhere are they more alive than in rural villages! Unfold ghost stories and other tales of Animist beliefs that play important roles in the way people live their lives.
Your countryside hosts will prepare a delicious home-cooked meal prepared on a traditional open fire (feel free to help out and have a go), washed down with a freshly plucked coconut. Your guide will return you to Siem Reap by tuktuk at around 3pm.
Price & inclusions
Our ‘My Village’ experience offers a chance to get away from the hustle and bustle of Siem Reap city, and explore a much slower pace of life in the beautiful Cambodian countryside. With your community guide you’ll have the chance to learn about local traditions, try out crafts, and prepare lunch with a host family. The tour starts will at 10.00am pick-up at your hotel, and finishes at approximately 3.00pm.
For a private tour for:
- 1 person, the price is $140 / person.
- 2 people, the price is $90 / person.
- 3 people, the price is $87 / person.
- 4 people, the price is $85 / person.
- 5 people, the price is $83 / person.
- 6 people, the price is $80 / person.
This price includes:
- Private experienced English-speaking community guide
- Private transportation (including pick-up and drop-off at your accommodation)
- Lunch with a host family in the village
- Drinking water
- Fair payment to all involved in the delivery of your experience
- VAT (10%) and other Government taxes
“Lovely day, I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting a break from the touristy temple stuff” – Deepa, August 2016