It’s that time of year again! 2017 has been action-packed and quite the roller coaster. We almost cannot believe where the year has gone! We are excited to share with you an overview of what we have been up to, and the impact our activities have brought to communities, initiatives, and travellers…
Highlights from the team:
- We launched Wisdom Wednesdays in Siem Reap – a series of free talks on the complexities of doing good – to share lessons learned and insights with the travel industry, volunteer travellers, and development workers alike.
- We were invited by World Challenge, the world’s biggest school-based volunteer travel company, to run educational workshops to more than 500 students on the issue of orphanage tourism and the impacts of institutionalisation of children.
- We launched an annual Malaysia month-long immersion experience on development issues.
- We supported out biggest tour operation to date which required pulling in a lively team of 13 staff to manage the project at one time! We brought together freelance team members, core staff, and provided professional development opportunities by sub-contracting a few staff from community partners. In collaboration with the JUMP! Foundation we ran two simultaneous learning journeys in Kampot and Battambang for around 180 students and educators! Phew.
- After lots of waiting, we finally got our hands on the Go Pro video we were a part of, and love the story line on the impacts of tourism in the Kingdom. Watch Yut make his debut!
The impact of our tours:
As tradition, we are thrilled to show you a breakdown of how finances from our tours have been invested into inspiring initiatives around the country and beyond…
- $2,000 on trainings for our team and key community partners
- This included building capacity in the areas of first aid, tour guiding, child protection, and tax.
- $4,000 on social ventures
- These are delicious meals provided by vocational training students at restaurants (here’s a list of our favourites!)
- $7,000 donated to a wide range of development NGOs contributed as donations or payment for workshops
- In exchange from enlightening and inspiring discussions with NGO leaders we have contributed to a variety of causes – indigenous peoples, education, environment, heritage conservation, women, and more…
- $10,000 spent direct to community groups for grassroots services such as homestays
- We support a range of community-based tourism initiatives and love included family-based stays in our trips; every night spent has resulted in support to the local economy and directly brought benefits to our hosts.
- $12,000 on further education support for disadvantaged youth
- Through our partnership with PEPY Empowering Youth, guests on our tours have directed over $12,000 to their education programs. This is the equivalent of funding 8 students to study at university for three full years!
This totals to $35,000 of tourism revenue directed to projects and activities bringing serious social impact in the communities they aim to serve! Thank you to everyone who has been a part of this achievement and made it possible.